PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA seeks to raise Airline Pilot Standards
Old 12th Apr 2012, 04:43
Island-Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really?

Really you seriously just told me FAR means "Federal Acquisition Regulation" and then proceed to lecture me on the difference between 121 and 135?

I hope you're fully aware that FAR the common industry term in the United States for "Federal Aviation Regulation" in reference to Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations. The fact that I have to tell you this indicates that you have no clue about US regulations pertaining to aviation.

With regards to your assertion that FAR (Federal Aviation Regulations, aka Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations) Part 135 operators may operate in scheduled service under FAR (again, this is what we in the United States call Title 14 of our Code of Federal Regulations) with a passenger seating configuration I'm not sure what regulation you quoted as you provide no reference. Currently FAR (referring to the Federal Aviation Regulations) 135.1 was revised to remove the applicability you quoted.

However, the 8900.1 Volume 2, Chapter 2, Paragraph 2-129F (Table 2-4) has an excellent chart that clearly illustrates that a scheduled operator with greater than 9 passenger seats or a payload of greater than 6500 pounds must operate under the rules pertaining to Part 121.

Scheduled Operations (common carriage passenger operation; departure, location, and time and arrival location offered in advance by the operator)
Common Carriage (holding out to transport persons or property for compensation or hire)
• Interstate, or
• Foreign, or
• Overseas, or
• Carriage of mail
• Turbojets, or
• Multi-engine airplanes with 10 or more passenger seats, OR more than 7,500 pounds payload capacity
• Within or between 48 contiguous states, entirely within a state, territory, or possession, or special authorizations

Domestic
----------------
• Turbojets, or
• Multi-engine airplanes with 10 or more passenger seats, OR more than 7,500 pounds payload capacity
• Entirely outside U.S., take-off or landing outside 48 contiguous states, or between Alaska, Hawaii, territories, and outside U.S.
Flag
----------------
• Airplanes with 9 or fewer passenger seats AND 7,500 lbs. or less payload capacity, or any rotorcraft

Commuter
----------------
• Airplanes, other than turbojets, with 9 or fewer passenger seats AND 7,500 pounds or less payload capacity, or any rotorcraft used in scheduled passenger-carrying operations with a frequency less than 5 round trips per week on at least one route between two or more points according to the published flight schedules
On-demand
----------------

The 30 seat restriction under FAR (Federal Aviation Regulations) 135 applies only to non-scheduled flight operations. All scheduled "commuter" operations are restricted to 9 or less. This is why Great Lakes, Aloha Island Air, and a number of other US commuter airlines converted to FAR (Federal Aviation Regulations, I'd for you to think I'm talking about the Federal Acquisition Regulations on an aviation website) 121 in the late 1990's.