PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should EASA be allowed to monopolise licencing in Europe?
Old 11th Apr 2012, 21:56
madlandrover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you mean the IR renewal acts as a PPL renewal also? It ought to, for the price
No. Assuming that you're now maintaining JAA/EASA licences and ratings on top of your FAA ones, you won't be doing any renewals anyway - just revalidations. Sounds pedantic but it may become an important difference in the next few months .

Your JAR PPL is currently revalidated on a 5 year cycle by admin action. Next time round it'll be reissued as an EASA PPL and thus valid for life. Your SEP rating, on the other hand, is valid for 2 years. It can be revalidated either by test or by experience. The experience route requires 12 hours in the 2nd year, inc 6 P1 and 1 full hour with an FI. This hour with an FI can be replaced by any successful test, eg I've never revalidated my own SEP rating by an hour with an instructor, I've always used a test instead, be it FI test, MEP, IR, etc. In the (unlikely I know!) event that you haven't managed the experience requirements then your IR reval can also be combined into a SEP reval with some additional items. Some examiners will charge extra for this, but the paperwork itself for a revalidation by experience is free .