PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ADS-B for GA in Europe?
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2012, 21:21
peterh337

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Certification is one method of ruling out installations that just don't work.
How does it that work?
What happened to VORs/ NDBs / DME's/ dead reckoning / eyeball & the good old map? Are you implying that GPS without RAIM should be used as sole means of navigation?
For a brief moment I thought you worked for Eurocontrol because you write in the "right kind of language" but obviously I was wrong, because you are unaware that for IFR in CAS in Europe one needs BRNAV capability, for which the only means of compliance is INS or GPS.

Also it's obvious you are not an IFR pilot, because GPS (with or without RAIM) is used as the sole means of navigation routinely (and 100% legally).

It now sounds like you are an instructor, or an FTO ground school teacher, perhaps?

The European 2015 data seems an isolated requirement on an undefined (and probably distant) implementation plan.
I think so, but you could say that for a lot of stuff coming out of Eurocontrol.

They are still on 10,000 VLJs flying out of Luton Mind you, so is most of Swanwick, I believe

Primary radar will never go away for national security reasons alone, and then the extra cost of the SSR bit bolted on the top is.... not a lot. Actually the bulk of radar data collected around say Europe is not shared with civilian ATC, so if one was looking for savings...