PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Melbourne, Vic advice
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2012, 20:34
max cont

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Melbourne, Vic advice

Hi all

I am British but married to a 'straylyn and we plan to move permanently to Oz in 2 years time (perhaps less). We are starting to make our plans for what we need to do when and I would appreciate any advice from people in the know around Melbourne. This is not a dressed up job search, I am just after some general info please. Visa/work permits should not be an issue.

Market. How is the rotary aviation market in Vic? Are there any particular types that are more prevalent - for instance internet searching suggests that there is less twin ac than in SE UK? I am thinking which way to push my civil experience in the UK, but I should arrive with 3000 hrs military, virtually all twin and procedural IR and with EASA CPL(H) and a bit of civil flying.

Location. The busiest airports seem to be Moorabbin with a bit at Essendon. Is the work located here or is it in reality distributed more widely? I know there is the offshore work from Sale, but not sure how that industry is performing. I am not committed to flying, if there is management stuff elsewhere.

Living. I would like to wean the wife away from spending every waking moment on Australian realestate websites (you know the one). However, we are committed to living anywhere around Melbourne and the area to the east for family reasons and the wife's work. We would also prefer to move into an area when we arrive and then stay there to save moving the kids schools several times. Obviously I don't know exactly where I would be working, but any top tips on areas that work?

Anything else to consider? Thanks in advance.