PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Pet Importation - why is it such a nightmare?!
Old 11th Apr 2012, 19:16
Romaro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's not so much the jabs and rabies issues that are the problem, that all makes a lot of sense for this rabies-free island, it's the fact that one can only use a commercial operator/AOC holder.

The whole thing is essentially a paper audit trail and whether one is flying a private Beech Bonanza or a chartered King Air, what difference does it make?

I accept that there needs to be a limited number of approved ports of entry for pets so the people on the ground have the training to check the paper trail and the requisite detention facilities if the dog/cat doesn't comply on arrival - alternatively turn the flight back to where it came from.

The fact that a commercial operator has first to be approved for UK pet importation then every airport pair/route used by that operator also be approved, is so laborious and burdensome.

If I can provide exactly the same passport, vet stamps, tick and tapeworm treatment evidence, rabies jabs evidence and all that has been done within the requisite time-frames, why can't I fly my owner's dog into Oxford or Biggin in a private Cessna piston from say anywhere in Germany?

It's the requirement for only approved commercial operators on approved city pairs/routes that is crazy - and it take an age for those to be approved.

Has anybody in the UK GA community ever lobbied the Animal Health people on this front - or is it the case that they would never listen to the private aviation community being an elite bunch of private aircraft users/owners?

Presumably the Jersey authorities still require a commercial operator to be used? If not, then tthaat is the back door way in with a private aircraft?!