PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Worrying Application for a DropZone SW of Popham
Old 11th Apr 2012, 18:37
Contacttower
Fly Conventional Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a point if anyone is reading this and thinking that we all sound a bit anti-parachuting, being NIMBYS etc etc...

In general I'm sure we are all supportive of parachuting and would welcome new drop zones in the same spirit that any increase in general aviation activity is welcome. It is just that in this specific location that has been suggested, one that I at least am very familiar with, it is potentially a bit dangerous. I note the usage outlined in the consultation document but even so the level of traffic there is already quite high and adding parachuting to the mix doesn't seem sensible. I wish the applicant the best of luck in starting a new drop zone, just not in that specific place.

Just the other day despite having a Traffic Info service from Boscombe and being about 500ft within the Middle Wallop MATZ I still came uncomfortably close to a glider that appeared to be transiting above Middle Wallop...but clearly not talking to them. That's another story I guess but my point is that there is a lot of traffic around there...