PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA/bmi merger (was Virgin & Balpa - bmi next ?)
Old 11th Apr 2012, 18:03
BusDriverLHR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As has been said, any method of integration that the BMI-CC are not happy with risks legal challenge. Keep in mind that it's not just the BACC that don't want BMI pilots integrated on BMI-DOJ. BA have no interest in putting a 24-year BMI pilot on PP24 and giving them the pay-rise associated with that. So the simplest method for BA is to not integrate the two groups at all.

All that BA need to do then is make sure TUPE is complied with (BMI pilots have no legal right to a place on the BA MSL).

It is becoming likely (source: people who know a lot more than me) that the outcome will be as follows:

- BMI pilots flying the BA airbus fleet, but with a separate rostering system (they may/may not fly with BA airbus pilots)

- They will use Carmen (already used at LGW) to be rostered (I gather very similar to what they have now)

- The work rostered to them will be extracted before the BA bidlines are constructed. It will consist of a fair share of trip types, weekends off, etc.

- The BMI-pilot group will decrease in size with retirement of BMI-pilots. No new pilots will join their group.

- They will have access to new commands commensurate with current career prospects. Probably on a dead-man's-shoes basis.

- BMI pilots may have the option to join the BA MSL (and hence move fleets) in accordance with their BA-DOJ.

- BMI pilots will retain their BMI-DOJ for purposes of Staff Travel and redundancy.

While the BACC were never going to agree to the full demands of the BMI-CC, they believe that they could have agreed and achieved something significantly better for the BMI pilots than what I've described above. The BMI-CC believe they can do better still by going it alone. We shall see, but I wouldn't be holding my breath...