PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do you fly your Freighter differently than a passenger Aircraft ?
Old 11th Apr 2012, 11:44
2 Whites 2 Reds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No maybe not Slasher. To be honest I didn't even realise the A320 Freighter existed....I thought Airbus cancelled the programme. Or is it just a case or hand balling boxes through the normal entry doors???

We generally hop around on the 757 at about 90 tonnes so Vref is normally around the 130kt mark. The heavier the better for me. We have an artificially restricted MTOW of 95t as we run out of space before we run out of weight and it keeps the airways bills down. I've landed a number of times at 66 tonnes or so where the Vref is 110kts and the thing fly's like a kite, much prefer more stable flight at the heavier weights.

I'm glad that I got my first job flying a 75 freighter....it has been and continues to be a great 'training ground'. And I really enjoy my job, no PAX, no hassle, good fun, professional but relaxed and nice atmosphere, and on a geeky note I love the 757. The biggest thing is no 'Man and Boy' attitude from most of our guys and girls. Only if its a stonking on limits x wind will a skipper usually ask if you're ok with it. Im the first to put my hand up and politely ask if he would mind doing it if I think or know it's beyond me.

I frequently get asked by people I've just met at a party or in the pub...."so when will you be allowed to fly passengers???"

2W2R