PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Upper wing covered by snow during takeoff roll
Old 10th Apr 2012, 22:23
lomapaseo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
UUUWZDZX

Ok, in this particular example regulator-approved-SOP of the airline whose aircraft is shown in this video specifically states, that if air temperature is 6C or less, ground personnel must check for hoarfrost/ice/snow contamination and if it is detected then order de-icing procedure.

Regulator-approved-FCOM of A320 has no differences either, and requires for critical surfaces to be free from snow, frost and ice for takeoff.

So it is clear that wing should have been treated. The reason I'm asking is different. I actually contacted this airline and their reply was (apparently signed by deputy director of operations and director of air safety) "There is no violation - snow has been blown off instantly [ not actually instantly, and not completely - my remark ] and therefore definitely didn't affect aerodynamics and safety" (That's almost their exact wording, translated from russian
Thank you for that explanation

It makes it a whole lot easier for comment (which by now you have got a ton of)

Maufacturers typically don't comment on their customers action so don't hold your breath awaiting something from Airbus

It looks like the public opinion (on this forum) is highly skepitcal of the answer that you got from the airline. While I will admit there is some eye-ball on-the scene subjectivity present in what's allowed to dispatch. The words you quoted above are in my view not an acceptable response and I expect that the local regulator will have to answer to that in the near term.

In summary, don't expect a closing statement except from the regulator themselves and only then if this subject goes viral across the internet.