PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Upper wing covered by snow during takeoff roll
Old 10th Apr 2012, 19:53
sabenaboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Northbeach
If by FCOM you mean Airbusī Flight Crew Operating Manual then I would say yes, most likely (I do not fly the product and have never read the manual) such a takeoff would violate Airbusī recommendations.

The airline may be bound by their own and different regulations that may permit such a departure (I boubt it)
I now fly the Airbus 320 and I used to fly B737 before that. I don't think there are many differences in Airbus or Boeing procedures for de-icing requirements.

Here's what our A320 FCOM says about it:

SURFACES.................................................... ............CHECKED FREE OF FROST, ICE AND SNOW
All surfaces of the aircraft (critical surfaces : leading edges and upper surfaces of wings, vertical and horizontal stabilizers, all control surfaces, slats and flaps) must be clear of snow, frost and ice for takeoff.

Thin hoarfrost is acceptable on the upper surface of the fuselage.
Note: Thin hoarfrost is typically a white crystalline deposit which usually develops uniformly on
exposed surfaces on cold and cloudless nights ; it is so thin that a person can distinguish
surface features (lines or markings) beneath it.
On the underside of the wing tank area, a maximum layer of 3 mm (1/8 in) of frost will not penalize
takeoff performance.

FOLLOWING EQUIPMENT........................................CHECKED FREE OF FROST, ICE AND SNOW
‐ Landing gear assemblies (lever locks) and tires, landing gear doors.
‐ Engine inlets, inlet lips, fans (check for rotation), spinners, fan exhaust ducts, reverser assemblies.
‐ Drains, bleeds, probes (pitots, static ports, TAT sensors, angle of attack sensors).
‐ Fuel tank ventilation.
‐ Radome.

Apart from the FCOM, there are many other Airbus publications in which they make it very clear that any contamination on the upper surface of the wing, stabiliser and elevators is dangerous and has to be removed before take-off.
Originally Posted by Northbeach
I fly a Boeing, such a departure would clearly and without a shread of doubt, be in violation of multiple regulations and company policies. I would expect to be sacked/terminated/fired for such an operation by my employer, have my license revoked by the authorities and likely never work in the industry again.
I fly the Airbus 320 such as the one in the Youtube clip. What Northbeach said in the quote above for Boeing and his company, is just as valid for my airline and the A320 operations. I agree 100 % with Northbeach!

Last edited by Jetdriver; 13th Jan 2013 at 14:14.