PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Obtaining PPL over time
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2012, 11:49
Grob Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Ben,
As a 30-something PPL student who works full time I hope I may be able to help you a bit!

due to being full time in my working life can this be done over a period, I get mixed views on people saying to do it in one go and some saying that spreading it out is no bad thing. I think personally that I would be able to do it over time as my memory works well on long term learning.
Yes, absolutely!! I think people have mixed views over whether a PPL should be completed in a short a period as possible or spread out. Personally I have taken two years so far, 53hours (45 mins of that is solo) and no where near skills test standard. There have been many reasons for this, weather, aircraft and instructor availability. But like you, I learn best over a long period of time, especially where the ground study is concerned; so this is the best way for me. Also, if you don't set yourself timescales, you will find that you enjoy the experience much more - after all you are still flying be it with an instructor or solo! If your instructor becomes a friend you will also enjoy it more (espeically on long X country navexes! )

Flying is just a hobby for me so again, time doesn't matter. Ref the exams - again, this issue tends to spilt people but I am aiming to do them all "at the end" (well, apart from nav which i will have to do before my QXC). This is not to say I am not bothering to study! I am reading and studying along the way as that helps me understand the flying perspective. This is on teh advice of my instructor, as this is what suits my learning style; and as we are all different it may not be what suits you best.

Best thing is talk to Shoreham, the instructors and the other students there and see what they suggest, how they like to learn. I believe that if your three previous flights were with an instructor, they count.

Hope this helps. PM me if you need a "student to student" chat

GQ