PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Expansion period airfields - why so many?
Old 10th Apr 2012, 11:41
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
a bit more joined up thinking in the 60s/70s/80s
I think it is self-evident that there were a fair number of thinking lapses (or defence reviews) due to money constraints.

The V-force future was in doubt in 1968. The TSR2, for which Coningsby had an extensive refurbishment programme, was cancelled in 1965. The buy of 400 Tornados never materialised in that sort of numbers at any one time.

You can almost imagine one committee deciding in isolation: 400 Tornado = 40 sqns = 13 airfields.

The jet age also saw a major runway extension programme as bigger and increasingly heavier aircraft demanded longer and longer runways. The 9000 feet runway became the defacto V-Force runway. Other runways were increased to around 7500 feet and others remained at their WW2 length of 6000 feet.

To decide which airfields would be improved a secret document was prepared for all the airfields. This survey examined the potential extensibility of all the runways and commented on road diversion, building demolition, bad ground etc.

As we know, Scampton extension required a realignment of the A15. Wittering was a classic with extension gained by joining it with Collyweston and it had a potential of 13,500 feet.