PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA/bmi merger (was Virgin & Balpa - bmi next ?)
Old 10th Apr 2012, 11:26
Human Factor
Couldonlyaffordafiver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From a purely personnel point, I cannot for the life of me see that putting the 300 odd BMI pilots onto their correct places on the seniority list, based on their DOJ, will make any real difference to the 3300 BA pilots. The planned expansion of BA over the next few years and in the future will not leave any pilot disadvantaged.
... but you also state ...

There is only one, in my judgment, correct and lawful way of merging the workforces and that is DOJ (not seniority).
Everything, apart from leave allocation, in BA is dependent upon your seniority number. Your monthly bid (so quality of work), your ability to bid between fleets (so overall ability to control your lifestyle and/or career progression), even the days you do your sim checks are dictated by your seniority number so how anyone can suggest that no pilot will be disadvantaged by anyone "jumping the queue" is difficult to understand?

Please explain to me how a BMI pilot will be disadvantaged based on his or her current position (as the law requires) versus that in a pay and status protected position at the bottom of the BA MSL? I would like to know specifically any disadvantage reference bidding for monthly work or leave based upon their current position, bearing in mind that if commands can be protected, so can other aspects.

Further, I would like to know how you consider placing BMI pilots into the BA seniority list based upon their BMI date of joining will not disadvantage any existing BA pilots who will be below them on the list.

Finally, as you seem to separate DoJ from seniority, how do you propose to recognise one without recognising the other?