PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Expansion period airfields - why so many?
Old 10th Apr 2012, 11:25
Roadster280

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks chaps.

It wasn't just Lincs that I was interested in, I find the whole programme interesting. I just happened to be in Lincs where there's a surfeit of them.

What struck me about Hemswell though was the very short career of such an extensive building programme. There were others with short lives, Middleton St George comes to mind. Others were kept in the estate and left to rot (Syerston, and Scampton particularly).

It seems such a shame that there wasn't a bit more joined up thinking in the 60s/70s/80s to keep these places in the MOD estate and in use. There was obviously money in the pot, as the MOD retained a lot of other sites that were of a far lower standard.

I used to drive past Little Rissington every weekend, and find it shocking that it was just left to rot, while places such as Weeton camp (another ex-RAF station) were retained. To recover places like Little Rissington and Scampton back to life would cost inordinate sums today, but had they been occupied and maintained, the MOD would have a far better quality estate than it does now.

Some really odd decisions seem to have been made. Church Fenton is a half derelict place, yet it is still partly occupied. Scampton had its Airmens' Mess used for a totally different purpose, yet they have to use Kirton to live in. Why not just build the bloody thing in a new building at Scampton, or even at Kirton? Or even, put it in a bunker. Oh no, silly me, they've all been left to flood & rot too...