PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL Exams problem
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2012, 10:48
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Ah "teaching and learning", I have a postgraduate certificate in that buried in a drawer somewhere.

Right, firstly, I agree with Dublinpilot - routine is really helpful. Also things to motivate you, and not (unless you are on real roller and enjoying yourself) keeping going for more than about 45 minutes at a time without a break.

Secondly however, you have probably come through a route of "passive learning" to date - learning through listening or reading. As a method, it works for very few people and is the reason that many people do badly in exams - because they have never really learned how to learn.

So, first things first, you need to get yourself into a pattern of active learning. DO NOT START WITH THE EXAM QUESTIONS. Start with the syllabus material and start working through it actively. What the heck do I mean my actively? - I mean by first reading, but straight after writing, creating your own notes, where necessary going to other sources when stuff doesn't make sense. Get to the point where you have a set of notes that you wrote, and understand. By all means set yourself progress tests at the end of important sections, but don't go to the exam questions just yet.

Once you've done that, do it again, create a new set of notes, probably far briefer, that summarise what you've written already in your Mk.1 version. Notes that again you understand, and trigger your memories to all of the existing material.

Decorate it, write it in Gaelic, handwrite it or type it as you see fit, insert lots of pretty pictures from the net if you like - nobody needs to understand or be impressed by them but you, and you do need to do it in a way that you find interesting.

Structure this so that in the exam subjects you are getting towards a full double set of notes around a fortnight before the exams are due. Then go to practice papers such as the PPL confuser (or more modern versions) and start doing the exams. Be rigorous about timings and marking, then go back to the notes and revise again anything you got wrong.

Keep that up, and you'll ace the exams.

G