PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA/bmi merger (was Virgin & Balpa - bmi next ?)
Old 10th Apr 2012, 09:18

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FWIW

I can absolutely see that the BMICC could be considered as negligent, if they reached a binding agreement with the BACC before even meeting with their new employers!!! That suggestion seems neither sensible nor reasonable to me. The BMICC are the elected representatives of BMI pilots, and MUST be allowed to negotiate with their new employers, BEFORE reaching any recommendations. Perhaps we could call it 'due diligence'???

The BACC do indeed appear sensible negotiators, and may well have much to offer by way of knowledge of 'the opposition'. However they also have an agenda, and an outcome which they prefer. A vested interest which seems to conflict with the BMICC's. An absolute cast iron commitment to their electorate that 'No BA pilot will be disadvantaged'!

The BMICC must feel that a gun is being held to their heads! Certainly damned if they do, and almost certainly damned if they don't! In their shoes, I don't see any alternative to the 'almost' route. At least they will always be able to say they examined every possibility, and they owe their members that!

In any event whatever goes on in the discussions later this week, it is IAG/BA who are holding the purse strings, NOT the BACC, who will not be included in those initial discussions.

I have no idea what the BMICC, with skilled negotiation, may or may not be able to achieve? Neither does anyone else. Yet!

Depending on how BA wish to play this, they could be in a worryingly powerful position here. To the detriment of all pilots!

Last edited by 4468; 10th Apr 2012 at 09:32.