PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Climbing and decending
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2012, 06:11
Final 3 Greens

average

Don't worry about it, it is a completely normal experience at this stage of your learning - just keep practicing and don't let your annoyance turn to frustration.

Maslow identified 4 levels of competence - you are currently at level 3, conscious incompetence, which means you know that you are nor performing as you need to.

Ask your instructor to observe you and feedback if you are doing anything obviously wrong; s/he will probably have observed you already and understand that you are just at the steep part of the learning curve and the cure is repetition, which will lead to conscious competence - you will perform as you need to, but it will take a bit of effort.

In time, you will repeat the process enough to reach unconscious competence and then your unconscious part of your brain (the same bit that pumps blood around, controls breathing) will control the hand/eye/foot coordination and you will climb/descend without thinking about it. You will even trim out without thinking about it, your hand will just move across and take the weight off the controls :-)

After I got my PPL, I used to spend a lot of time in the circuit (final advice from a very good instructor) building form conscious to unconscious competence. This was good advice, as once you can fly an effortless and controlled circuit, normal flying is then effortless and controlled.

If you read Pilot DAR's post above, he is giving you an 'art' of flying perspective and I am giving you a 'science'of flying perspective. IMHO, flying is both an art and a science.