PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Climbing and decending
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2012, 04:20
Pilot DAR

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts
Yes, look outside, as said....

Broader thinking here... Any machine you learn to operate is learned first as "understanding" and "doing", to cause the result you want. (This presupposes that you know what you want it to do - but that's a different thread). After a while building familiarity, you don't think about your hands and feet, you just think about the machine doing as you control.

Compare flying a plane to operating a backhoe or excavator - so many levers to co-ordinate! The first few times, you operate it very robotically. After a while, you no longer look at your hands on the levers, and move them to move the bucket, you just look at the bucket, and move it with your mind, what your hands do as a part of the control circuit is really not a factor any more. I can remember watching the bucket of my excavator trenching exactly as I intended, then looking at my hands, and watching them all over the controls making it happen, without my even thinking about them.

Flying will be the same, once you get used to it, until you move onto a very different aircraft type. Some people refer to it as "wearing the plane". Your mind operates the plane, what happens in the middle of the control circuit really is not important. You don't really care whether it's the upper or lower cable that moves the elevator, as long as it goes the right way right? Why would how your hands and feet move be any different, as long as the plane is doing what you need it to?

You will then concentrate on exactly what the plane is doing in the sky, notice more visual cues, and precise flying will be much more easy for you.