PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Upper wing covered by snow during takeoff roll
Old 10th Apr 2012, 02:44
UUUWZDZX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't be so much interested in an Airbus interpretation as I would the operator's regulator approved SOP. I don't have a problem with a manufacturer (Airbus etal.)weighing in on this but I do feel the responsibility rests with the operator meeting a regulation against their operations.
Ok, in this particular example regulator-approved-SOP of the airline whose aircraft is shown in this video specifically states, that if air temperature is 6C or less, ground personnel must check for hoarfrost/ice/snow contamination and if it is detected then order de-icing procedure.

Regulator-approved-FCOM of A320 has no differences either, and requires for critical surfaces to be free from snow, frost and ice for takeoff.

So it is clear that wing should have been treated. The reason I'm asking is different. I actually contacted this airline and their reply was (apparently signed by deputy director of operations and director of air safety) "There is no violation - snow has been blown off instantly [ not actually instantly, and not completely - my remark ] and therefore definitely didn't affect aerodynamics and safety" (That's almost their exact wording, translated from russian language). I'm very doubtful of this reply and think they are just covering their crew's backs and don't want to admit violation. It clearly violates FCOM of A320 and their own SOP (both approved by russian CAA). Also, how can they know that it didn't affect aerodynamics? Did they quantify it by looking at this video? Contamination might well have reduced critical AOA, for example. They've been just lucky.

PS. No de-icing was made. Otherwise snow would have been removed because last time it snowed was about 2-3 hours before departure.

I sent a letter to Airbus and awaiting their reply.

As you might know, ATR 72 crashed in russia a few days ago. Investigation committee already stated that aircraft was not de-iced (winter conditions still prevail in most regions of russia, despite it is already april), public is outraged because it is thought that company didn't de-ice to save money/time. I found this video shortly after the accident. Since everyone in aviation circles discusses ATR's crash, I think the incident operator is afraid to admit their own similar case (date of this video taken 01.01.12) which happened to be more lucky.