PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA/bmi merger (was Virgin & Balpa - bmi next ?)
Old 9th Apr 2012, 21:22
hunterboy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I may offer a bit of advice to the BMI CC and the BMI line pilots....
Listen to all the advice you possibly can...get legal advice and know what your bottom lines are. BA Flight Ops management are ruthless and quite brutal.
As someone senior on the 777 in BA, I have no skin in the game, I doubt more than a dozen pilots in BMI joined before I did. However, to last in UK aviation, and BA in particular, one needs to grow a thick skin or develop another coping mechanism. There is probably more bull**** in BA than you have been used to, except you don't have the camaraderie and small base friendliness to get you through it all.
You will be in for a big culture shock, no matter what happens. Prepare to be a number and nothing more.
At the risk of sounding like a stuck record, I hope your CC have a plan for dealing with the BA mgmt during the consultation process. BA's M.O will be to march in and tell you all how it is going to be. Prepare for the worst. I know that whatever the cheapest option is , is what BA will implement. BA flt ops don't do imagination.
Please don't come back on here in a month or so and moan about your lot. BALPA and various posters on here have been warning your CC for a while now.
Good luck....

p.s One of the reasons LHS long haul is so attractive in BA is the 20K a year pay increase for flying long haul rather than short haul.
p.p.s I suspect there wont be any outstations. You will be based at LHR. Many pilots wont want to move from NI or Scotland, hence LH suddenly starts to look attractive with a once a week commute.
None of this stuff is rocket science. I hope your CC are keeping you all informed in newsletters and on your company forum.

Last edited by hunterboy; 9th Apr 2012 at 21:33.