PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should EASA be allowed to monopolise licencing in Europe?
Old 9th Apr 2012, 20:53
cldrvr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cjboy, as to cars, you cannot drive a foreign car in the UK unlimited:

Visitors coming to the UK that don’t intend living here can usually use a vehicle displaying foreign (non-UK) number plates for up to six months in a 12 month period. This can be one single or several shorter visits, adding up to a six month period. During this time the vehicle can travel displaying the non-UK plates but only provided the vehicle is still fully registered and tax paid, in the country it came from (the driver’s home country).
For anyone wishing to stay in the UK for longer than a six month period, their vehicle will normally need to be registered and taxed at Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA).
Driving in the UK with non-UK number plates : Directgov - Motoring

So there is no difference between flying a foreign aircraft or driving a foreign car. That's why I used the analogy.

Now back to flying. 4x4, I agree with you, I would have rather continued to deal with the CAA, however we joined the EU and part of that was EASA.

I don't see anything wrong with the US imposing similar rules regarding foreign aircraft operated within their territory.

EASA only wants a way to enforce each and every pilot and operator based in the EU. It is not saying that the FAA pilots/operators are less safe, it is just saying that each and every citizen/operator should fall under the same regulations and loopholes that allow them to skirt EU regs need to be closed.

The EU is very clear in its reasoning for the licensing requirement:

A high and uniform level of protection of the European
citizen should at all times be ensured in civil aviation, by
the adoption of common safety rules and by measures
ensuring that products, persons and organisations in the
Community comply with such rules
In addition, third-country aircraft operated into, within or
out of the territory where the Treaty applies should be
subject to appropriate oversight at Community level

It is at no point saying anything about the difference, if any, in safety, it is just stating that if you reside here, or base your aircraft here, you should adhere to the local regs.