PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2012, 07:01
Le Cochon Plastique

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Katie

Savoia,

I don't recall Katie being quite the gentle lady that you do. I remember one of my early dates with her where we flew from Glasgow to Edinburgh to deliver a washing machine. My extensive underslung load training hadn't extended to static electricity and grounding wires so when I hooked up the load in pouring rain she gave me an almighty belt. That's how I learned most things back then- the hard but fast way.

However, she did infect me with the rotary wing disease (I was in danger of embarking on a plank wing career path at the time) so she was a major influence in my life.

Re LCP. When I joined Manns in '85 I found an unshaven, trogloditic collection of life forms locked in a small dingy hangar full of ancient helicopters. I mean- they were all made of metal and covered in grease nipples and oil leaks. Yuk! G-NOEI (AS350) had just turned up- an advanced peice of French technology made mostly of plastic and left over Citroen bits and AMH needed somebody who was wise in the ways of such modern things. So, I became Marcel and G-NOEI was Le Cochon Plastique. I always thought there was an element of jealousy in the air. (Lets see if that gets a bite or two- it always used to!)

Really good answer re the upturned battery cart, but wrong. That's the sort of silly answer that TRC would come up with

I'll stick the Class of '85 pic on the AMH thread- thanks for the steer.

Anyway. Back to the washing machine. We were delivering it to a woman who had won it in a local supermarket competition and having it delivered dangling below a helicopter into the supermarket car park was all part of the PR. Event over, the assembled crowds quickly dispersed due to the rain and as we climbed out of the car park towards the 200 foot cloudbase I can still picture the poor woman, all on her own now, thinking "how the hell am I going to get this washing machine home".