PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - bird avoidence
Thread: bird avoidence
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2012, 01:38
Escape Path

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@ Bubbers

EP I guess I didn't explain well enough my gentle banks of 10 to 15 degrees didn't resemble F18 evasive tactics. I never had a passenger complain when I was maneuvering around turkey buzzards that if I hadn't used visual avoidance of their multiple flocks would have I am sure had multiple groundings of our 757. You just have to look far in front of you to make it gentle maneuvers. Your battering ram approach of your mass is bigger so why not fly through the flock is flawed. A simple maneuver of not over 15 degrees of bank will easily avoid the problem.
I actually agree with you. What I said was IF you can avoid the bird(s) by doing gentle manoeuvres, such as what you describe, and by looking out far ahead enough, that's the way to do it. What I meant though, was that I've seen pilots that notice birds when they are too close already and then try to somehow miss them by making turns that would make a F-22 look rubbish. It's too late now and by that moment, you should let the bird avoid you instead of the other way around, given that the bird can change flight path more rapidly than you can.