PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Private Pilot would like to fly in Argentina.
Old 8th Apr 2012, 15:20
Brachetta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My point is that even then the Argentine government had its whole population fired up on this subject and in this regard things are probably even worse now than they were in 2007.

I am quite sure that almost no Argentine would now be prepared even to listen to the British point of view, but avoiding the subject when visiting there would be an impossibility. You would be sure to be repeatedly lectured and if you resisted probably beaten up.
That's a very wrong assumption, to say the least. You would be surprised how many argentines would be happy to talk to you civilized about it and find out what you think about this matter. And you would be even more surprised about how many don't get "fired up" by ridiculous official government propaganda.
Naturally you will always have a sad bunch of brickheads jumping and making noise following whatever they are told, But that happens fairly everywhere, not only in Argentina.

In my company there are 2 British colleagues an good mates of mine. We spend hours talking about 1982 and we always comment how much we've learnt about the conflict 30 years down the line. We all have family who served during the war...what to do, are we gonna be bitter with each other and start a fight? For the record we all enjoy our dinners and discussions very...very much.

Look, I am the 1st one criticizing my country when criticism is due, but I promise you that a tourist being Brit or from anywhere for that matter will find a friend in an Argie more often than not. Dont get dragged by what you read in the papers. That's what a government with falling popularity says in order to get some last minute support.

About your friend at the dinner; yes, agree...extremely impolite with no manners.