PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it worth it?
Thread: Is it worth it?
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2012, 13:19
Wirbelsturm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The same old story... the rockstar who says "nevermore", the DJ who says "never for my children", the engineer that claims "it is not worth it", and then comes the coolest of top-guns who goes "I did the silliest thing in my life".
I hate all these lies from successful people who likes to play modesty aligning with the rest of us mortal souls. Come on, you're cool, you're a star among the gods, so cut this crap of regreting what you did in your life... otherwise I would think that the old motive "who has bread has no teeth" suits you very well.
This made me chuckle.

What makes you think I regret anything I have done? The OP asked the question as to wether it is worth getting in to aviation in the current environment. In my opinion, under the current accountants attacks on T's & C's, no it isn't. What I have done previously under different terms, which also included various flying jobs prior to the airlines for various flying types, is irrelevant. Mutt just alluded to flying smaller jets, been there, done that.

There is no 'cool', no 'super star' just right place, right time in my case, I consider myself to be a perfectly average pilot, occasionally lucky!

The military is contracting, the fast jets getting ever more automated, GA is becoming ever more expensive and Airlines are being taxed out of existance by a 'pro business' Government.

Personally, I really couldn't care what you think of me, I would NOT recommend my kids getting into aviation. The changes I have seen over more than a quarter of a century of professional flying have left me with one impression, that which sees the profession being driven into the dust by the public demanding ever cheaper tickets, the accountants demanding ever greater productivity and the Government seeing Aviation as a 'Green' tax cash cow.

But then I retire fairly soon so it will be your trainset to mess around with. Just don't screw up the training as I might well be in the back but, trust me, I won't be to one shouting about it. It's just a job.

Enjoy Easter.