PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Private Pilot would like to fly in Argentina.
Old 8th Apr 2012, 11:22
BroomstickPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 'Malvinas' issue

Hi Everybody,

Back in about 2007, (I think before Kirchner came to power,) I was at some friends' family gathering in Germany. (It was a 100th birthday party)!

While there, I was introduced to one of their relatives by marriage, a young Argentine woman. As soon as she heard I was British, she insisted pointedly that the 'Malvinas' was theirs. (I had not even mentioned the subject and had not intended to do so).

Personally, irrespective of the rights and wrongs of the issue, I thought that raising this issue, especially at my friends' party, was a breach of good manners, so I refused to respond.

My point is that even then the Argentine government had its whole population fired up on this subject and in this regard things are probably even worse now than they were in 2007.

I am quite sure that almost no Argentine would now be prepared even to listen to the British point of view, but avoiding the subject when visiting there would be an impossibility. You would be sure to be repeatedly lectured and if you resisted probably beaten up.

Personally, I wouldn't even go to Argentina, partly because repeated such confrontations would be a dead cert and partly because I would resent my tourist expenditure going into their economy.

BP.