PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BKK airport scam
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2012, 07:35
Metro man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why would you pay above average prices for a taxi/tuk tuk ride when there's no need to? You wouldn't allow an airline to charge you an extra £50 for no reason so why pay an extra quid etc for a taxi ?
Exactly, as soon as they see a white face the price jumps. I am quite happy to pay the GOING RATE for something, I refuse to be taken advantage of because of a perceived ability to pay more than a local.

I've refused to get into five taxis, one after the other because the driver wouldn't use the meter. This sends a message that not all foreigners can be taken for a few extra baht, the more of us that refuse to be exploited, the better for everyone.

The taxi situation in Phuket is even worse, a mafia controls the trade on the main tourist spot of Patong beach. Metered taxis aren't allowed to pick up there and the minimum charge is B200 to go around the corner in a four wheeled tuk tuk, which rapidly escalates for any distance.

The opening of the airport rail link and BTS sky train was one of the best things to happen for visitors to Bangkok. Take the express line from the airport, 17 minutes and B150 return into town.