PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seniority - is it time to get rid of it?
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2012, 03:42
squarebear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oakape,

Should my company go bankrupt and I find myself out of work, I will obviously look around, but I do not see any god given right that I expect to get a command in front of some guy who's seniority, experience and sim checks indicate that he is next in line for that command slot, no matter my experience. To do so is just pure arrogance.

Anthill, forgive me for thinking that you are advocating some sort of industry based seniority system, it was just your comment that the Strategic guys having to take there command experience overseas in order to retain their commands led me to believe you suggest that their decades of experience should entitle them to jump the queue here in Australia. IE: Your command is dependant on your experience. If that were to be the accepted case, there would be many overseas pilots coming home to DEC.

(BTW I happen to know a few of those guys, I am in awe of their experience but unfortunately you brought them up by way of example).

Whilst you have undoubtably a great wealth of knowledge, learnt in many parts of the world, I would suggest that a guy with the right amount of experience within the company, esp time with the SOP's, is also bring something to the table as well.

As I said I am not against DEC but for the reasons of new types, lack of experience due to expansion, or can't get applicants (basings etc).

Do you support 457 Visa's as a general rule as well?

I note your comment re pyschometric assessment of candidates, I advocate CRM as well as psychometric. Hopefully you don't call all who disagree such names as Sunshine etc.