PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LSA legislative differences
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2012, 23:38
Genghis the Engineer

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts
Thanks.

There are many options, but my strongest recommendation would be to suggest that you look at Type Approved microlights, ideally those which are administered by the BMAA (British Microlight Aircraft Association), who in my experience have the more user friendly airworthiness system and the greatest experience in the approval of "ability" modifications. "Type Approved" basically means that they can be used for commercial flying training. I'm assuming a preference for 3-axis controlled, because the control forces on a flexwing could be problematic for somebody with limited upper body strength and control.

There are quite a lot of aircraft types potentially available. I would personally discount most types that are at the highest end of the performance spectrum because these tend to be extremely tight on payload, and thus the spare mass available for adding modifications is very small. I would also discount types that aren't in current production, since manufacturer support is very helpful.

Suitable types would therefore include:

- Bantam B-22J
- Medway SLA Executive
- Thruster T600N
- Ikarus C42
- EV97 Eurostar (this is a bit iffy, nice aeroplane, but only limited spare payload).
- Thruster T600T

(Data sheets on all of these are available at this link).

BMAA's guidance on getting approval on modifications for disabled pilots is in this pdf document.

In my experience (which is fairly considerable, although a little rusty), the best approach to take is to get approval as soon as possible on a "standard wheelchair user" modification - basically one that assumes somebody has limited or no use of their legs but good upper body strength and control. Historically this covers a large proportion of disabled people who want to become pilots and with any luck a friendly, already qualified, wheelchair using pilot can be found to help with the design and approval work - possibly through BDFC.

However, only a large proportion, not all by any means. What's then appropriate is that as disabled pilots (or prospective pilots) "come on board" they sit in the aeroplane, and take an active roll (working with a competent design engineer, ideally one who is also a qualified pilot) in deciding for each pilot whether existing modifications will do the job, or whether new modifications are required.

Then it's a case of getting the mods approved by BMAA, and the pilot flying with any suitably qualified instructor.

G