PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air controller during emergency landing: 'I know that's BS'
Old 7th Apr 2012, 16:57
PukinDog

Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts
Capn Blogs

If the incident is less serious, declare: "PAN, PAN, PAN ... [FULL
CALLSIGN]" and follow up with details of the emergency.
Waiting for Pukin Dawg to correct this...
Certainly. A correct PAN call would be "PAN PAN, PAN PAN, PAN PAN...[Station calling], [Full Callsign] and then follow up details of the urgency. If it's an emergency, a MAYDAY call would be appropriate.

Frankly, I'm disappointed an a little suprised the pendants here hadn't jumped on this already. But in my expat civ flying years as a Captain, Training Captain and Check Airman working with more non-Americans than cowboys in almost exclusively non-U.S. airspace, I've seen my share of R/T nazis using it as a comfort-zone crutch to compensate for a lack of being able to prioritize and manage everything from a garden-variety approach in IMC or use and interpret a wx radar correctly to handling the most basic abnormal situation. Lots of beautiful talking but a lot of walking that would be better described as the aviation version of a pub crawl.

Standard phraseology?...Absolutely, it's a great idea. I use it, taught it, and expect it. In half the countries out there you won't even get a "say again" response to anything non-standard because the only English the controllers know is the standard phraseology script.

R/T obsession?....usually coming from those who'll sit in a sim and let an engine burn off it's pylon or flight controls stay jammed while they're having a conversation with ATC re SOBs and fuel remaining. There's a lot of obsession around here.