PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air controller during emergency landing: 'I know that's BS'
Old 7th Apr 2012, 13:01
Al Murdoch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've flown on both sides of the Atlantic and I know which ATC environment I prefer. That's just me though - I enjoy both.
For most pilots, comms are nothing to do with sounding like a Cowboy or James Bond - its about using the resources available to you to maximum effect. If you don't believe that ATC will help you and that making others aware of your situation is unimportant, fine fill your boots. ATC can offer you a huge amount if they know a) what's happening to you and b) what your intentions are. If they don't know any of that - then you're not going to be getting much back.
In my experience, when you get to the Comms part of Aviate, Navigate, Communicate, it should be executed as professionally as the first 2. It's not an optional extra - but a big part of airmanship, especially in congested airspace. Standard phraseology is the only way we can ensure things are done properly - where possible - obviously not all situations are alike and there will be variations. I don't see why that's such a contentious issue.