PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air controller during emergency landing: 'I know that's BS'
Old 7th Apr 2012, 09:09
golfyankeesierra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would say that in the first transmission "5912 smoke in cockpit roll trucks please" the "fifty-nine" part is not very clear and could be heard as "united".
But when the controller asked "who was that" the pilot answers clearly "fifty-nine twelve", should be clear enough.

According to the newspaper the pilot declared his emergency AFTER having been cleared to land. But the controller seams not aware of a "5912" on his freq. I don't think we have the full picture; was it a scheduled landing, was it a return after t/o, was the pilot just switched over to his freq?

Question for controllers: when I visited an approach-control facility once I noticed on the radar screens that any time a pilot keyed his mike there was a selectable option of cross bearings on the screen indicating the position of the plane with the keyed mike. Gives the controller an extra check of who is actually talking. Good option if there is confusion due to similar call signs but could work as well when a prank call is suspected. Is there such a possibility for tower controllers as well?

BTW: usually someone digs up the original ATC-recordings on the net, did they surface yet?

Last edited by golfyankeesierra; 7th Apr 2012 at 09:21.