PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 7
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2012, 05:31
Old Carthusian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diagnostic
If I may I will focus on the training aspect of your posts. This does not mean that I disregard the CRM and SOP issues. The question would be is the new warning necessarily going to improve safety or is is going to lessen it? Adding a warning is not necessarily a good thing. With regard to training - hard training, easy execution. One needs to practice unusual situations frequently so that one knows how to react in an unusual situation. Training enables one to deal with the situation more effectively - by relying on your training you are better prepared. It is nice if you can train for the specific situation but even so as others have so eloquently put it in other threads the pause, evaluate, act triad works wonders in such situations.
I can suggest several explanations of why the crew acted the way they did - all of which would fit the facts. If you wish I will sketch a couple of scenarios out in a later post but at the moment I would rather not speculate beyond the evidence we have. This accident also links in with Air France pilot culture and I believe other airlines who have developed a 'corrupted' pilot culture. The existance of a warning does not necessarily lead to increased safety - better training does.