PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Contact lenses vs Glasses
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2012, 22:15
CharlieDeltaUK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another vote for contact lenses from me.

One point not mentioned so far: if you use contact lenses to correct your vision for short sight, you can in middle age find that you also need help with reading, and that means wearing specs. There's a lot of negative stuff (including on this thread) about varifocals etc. When I noticed I needed glasses (on top of my contact lenses) to read charts in my lap, I saw an optician who works near Brize Norton and had experience of advising pilots. Net result was a rather expensive pair of specs but they are engineered in all respects perfectly for flying. Optical technology has moved on.

The key thing is finding an optician who understands the demands of flying.

Re the question about how to use specs if you lose just one contact lens: you have two choices. You may find that you can function not too bad with one lens, but stereo vision can be a problem. So, you have a bit of time to sort yourself out, but don't try landing! At a push, reach for your specs and simply push out the lens which corresponds to the eye which has a contact lens still remaining. I've worn contact lenses for years and I never did get the hang of getting out lenses without a mirror - so don't fancy trying in the cockpit. I'll risk vandalising my specs to keep safe.