PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Contact lenses vs Glasses
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2012, 21:15
vulcanpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you feel comfortable in "touching your eyeballs", which believe me, a lot of people aren't, then contacts are far superior to any form of spectacles, for so many reasons.

I've been using soft lenses now for something like 30 years, and now have silicon hydrogel high water content, high O2 permeable, extended wear lenses. Mine even correct for astigmatism (toric) and I wear for a week at a time, with one night per week off (yes, I keep them in overnight).

Lenses are ridiculously cheap these days, with a years worth of lenses costing about £130, plus the checkup/care costs.

The benefits of contacts are many, but include 'full peripheral vision' correction, not having to look through or past the edges of spectacle frames, less aberration (vertical lines are vertical, not slightly curved), no 'back of lenses' glare or reflection, and you can use an off-the-shelf pair of sunnies.....

Easy option is to ask your optician for a trial pair of lenses. But remember, if you do opt for contacts, you'll still have to carry a spare pair of spectacles and this will be endorsed on your medical - not sure how I'd deal with this though on the very, very unlikely event that a lens fell out in-flight, as I'd have to take the other lens out or I'd not be in any better position putting my specs on