PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Contact lenses vs Glasses
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2012, 20:23
AlexDeltaCharlie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Contact lenses vs Glasses

Hello all,

Just looking for some opinions on which type of corrective lenses are better for flying. I'm mildly short sighted and when flying I carry a normal pair of spectacles and a set of Aviator-shaped prescription sunglasses with large lenses. Flying under an overcast layer today I wore my normal clear spectacles and I really started to notice that my lookout for other traffic was struggling. My instructor pointed out another aircraft out the left window, and it took me a while to spot it myself. I suspect it was in my peripheral field of vision during the scan but I hadn't seen it because of not looking at it through my glasses. It occurred to me that because of the limited corrected field of vision through my spectacles my scan outside of the cockpit was not as effective as I'd previously thought, and that were I flying solo it would be possible to not see a conflicting aircraft altogether.

I've been looking into (excuse the pun) contact lenses recently and I was wondering whether they were a better choice for flying. Does anyone have any opinions of flying with contacts? Do they provide better peripheral vision, or is it better to invest in clear glasses with larger lenses? I really struggle with touching my eyes so it'd take a lot of getting used to I suspect, so do they provide a big benefit over spectacles?

ADC