PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Throw me out or keep me in?
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2002, 08:50
Woomera

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slasher

Geeez what do you think you're doing, trying to put me out of a job or something.

I mean the safest way for me to put this is to steal a quote from Send Clowns

I don't believe in people telling others what to do and how to talk. Your contributions while sometimes ... robust? rude? unpleasant? ... have always been intelligent and often interesting and ... unique.
and Jetlegs
And while we're at it, Slasher has no warning points. Because unlike some, he is obviously inteligent enough to be outrageous, dirty talking and provocative without breaking proon rules.
my bold not my speling.

I gotta say the lacky gets stretched really really thin sometimes, but he rarely if ever takes cheap shots and there is always an underlying, very rational and exquisitely informed basis for his posts notwithstanding his peculiar turn of phrase.

I understand those not used to the robust exchanges that can take place when a bunch of Aussies get together, could well feel confronted.
I have seen colleagues from the US and elsewhere "wide eyed" at the friendly Oz banter and coloquialisms at BBQs, that would get you arrested in the US, .
My experience as a moderator over the years has shown clearly that D & G is "different and sometimes confronting" to non Dunundans until they get used to, some don't, the way we communicate with each other.
It also fair to say that we have had a very very turbulent decade or so in aviation matters which has required some very, very, plain and forthright speaking. That is one of the traits for which we have become notorious. PC has a rocky road Dunnunda

One would have had to be around in the earlier days when there were some immensely enjoyable, seriously metaphysical and deeply scientific discussions in quantum mechanics et al, to see some giant intelects at work with Slasher well to the fore. Fools were not suffered gladly, but if they were prepared to participate they would find Slasher a patient, passionate and eloquent teacher.

in re '89, well we all know, unequivocally, where he stands on that and there are some from the other side who have made some equally valid contributions. They may not agree with each other and everything that can be said has been.
They are entitled to agree to disagree on this particular subject and I have had a bit to say about everyones behaviour over the years so there is no need to further belabour the point.

Love him or hate him life is never boring around him and on balance, as one of the last of the hard bitten thrill seeker moderators, I would rather have him and any others like him around than not. If we all agreed with each other .............?

And that applies to every one of us warts, excrescences and all, who post here, intelligently, even passionately, as long as they add rather than subtract to the argument and continue to shine a light where some would it rather not be, you are always welcome, it's your forum after all or your presence would be sorely missed.
It wont be easy but it WILL be fun, it is one of the rules,