PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Connecting flights in London Stansted
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2012, 15:44
jabird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
International to International - 45 minutes
That is for a hypothetical through connection between legacy carriers. Totally irrelevant for Ryanair as you are making two separate contracts.

Personally, I think you are allowing far too little time, especially later in the day when it is more likely that delays from earlier on can stack up. Of course, it is possible for both flights to be delayed, in which case you won't have a problem with hand luggage only!

Afaik, no missed connection cover will consider anything less than 3 hours. I briefly looked at this for a three sector trip I've just got back from, but couldn't find any confirmation of what they would actually consider "reasonable".

My total route was BHX-AMS (land) CDG-SXM-NEV and reverse NEV-SXM-BHX.

The shortest "connection" was 6:10-9:50 in CDG. I could have booked on to an earlier flight but didn't want to risk it - and I did have luggage. In the end, I was checked through from SXM to BHX. Apart from BHX to AMS, which was with WW, all the airlines I was with offered some level of through connection - so they may have been sympathetic in the case of a missed connection.

With Ryanair, there is no sympathy, no assistance, officially such connections don't exist as they only do point to point. I'd much rather build in an overnight or an all day buffer - if the first sector is on time, do some sightseeing, if not, you should be ok. If you don't have that much time to spare, then you are far better off with a combined legacy ticket. By the time you have paid two sets of taxes and charges, you might well end up with a cheaper ticket anyway. For example by flying BRQ-STN-ORK & back, you are needlessly subjecting yourself to two sets of UK APD. If you flew on a through ticket - even via LHR (from PRG or VIE), you would not pay UK APD at all.