PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ADS-B for GA in Europe?
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2012, 08:49
mm_flynn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the US they have decided two key principles

1 - To move to an ADS-B infrastructure for the primary source of ATC data (I believe with a 2020 change over) so everyone who participates in the ATC environment will need a GPS as a source of position coupled to an ADS-B transmitter. This will cost some good chunk of money for GA to comply with and GA has negotiated getting extra data broadcast. Also, to provide ATC with data across the country they need remote receivers and these receivers are configured as repeaters (so they re transmit the ATC image of targets so that ADS-B in people can see the two different flavours of ADS-B plus Mode-A/C traffic)

2 - The US has also decided to have a two tier ADS-B infrastructure. One using the Mode-S frequency/protocol and one using a different frequency. The Mode-S one has the advantage of being consistent with world wide CAT equipment, but has the disadvantage of very limited bandwidth (i.e. no uplinked weather). The other system (UAT) has much higher bandwidth and the ability to provide all of the sexy features described in the OP.

It will come as no surprise that the European implementation is scheduled further into the future and is only based on the Mode-S datalink with none of the extra features (beyond being able to see all the other ADS-B traffic - but not I believe a retransmission of legacy Mode-C targets).