PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Japan airlines tailstrike...
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2012, 08:19
nitpicker330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From the video the Reversers are either fully open ( deployed) or in transit. Either way he does not have significant forward thrust yet and as such the video shows a possible bounce recovery with a lot ( maybe full ) up Elevator causing a high pitch attitude. He certainly would not have enough forward thrust to be trying to get airborne!!

The transit time of the Reverser translating doors/sleeves after canceling Reverse is about 3 seconds, then the Reversers would need to be stowed closed before you could advance the thrust levers to TOGA. You can't even push the thrust levers forward until the Reverse interlock releases!!

So, in my humble opinion they either bounced and in the process of recovery obtained a very high pitch attitude or they way over flared. During the final touchdown they selected Reverse.

Either way the nose would probably have come crunching down later as they lost Elevator

UPDATE:--
I just looked at the video again at the 9 second point and it shows the 777 further down the runway after landing with the nose de-rotating. Then the nose pitches way up as he selected Reverse!! I've seen and felt it happen on the 777 and 744. Both times we were lucky and controlled the pitch up and brought the nose down ok.

Last edited by nitpicker330; 6th Apr 2012 at 08:33.