PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 7
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2012, 03:44
chrisN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have another wild suggestion; when the aircraft gives up flying itself because of UAS, instead of an audible alert (we know audible alerts don’t always get through, such as the stall warning, when the crew is in cognitive overload), how about intermittently clearing the glass cockpit of other stuff (which for AF447 crew did not help them at all) and putting up a big message; “You have UAS. At this height, use power and pitch” (or in other appropriate circumstances: “ Use memory items and QRH”).

(I say another wild idea, because of my post on 1.11.11, post 596 on final crew conversation thread, page 30:

Two psychological factors are still open, and I see no easy way to overcome them, nor have the experts here put forward solutions that I have seen:

Highly stressed people can be oblivious to audible warnings. What has been described as the “cavalry charge” happened when the FOs were handed control manually which they had never practiced and in circumstances they didn’t understand, or agree about (PNF showed some sign of awareness);

And the reason I followed this from the outset through all threads – when a stressed pilot forms the wrong conclusion, he/she tends to stay with it regardless of ineffective attempts to correct the wrong problem. I have seen this in my field (gliding safety and accident analysis) – only test pilots, or rare individuals, can keep a clear head and systematically fault find.

[snip]

A wild suggestion . . . [snip]

After the system gives up and hands a basketful of trouble to the pilots to hand fly their way out of it without any training (or only inappropriate training), the “system” should know enough that it then stalled and stayed stalled, even when speed fell below 60 (it thought). How about for one second out of every 4, the glass screen blocks out everything else and displays;

” STALL! You are staying stalled! Get out of it!”

Would it be beyond the wit of man to even devise a “computer knows best mode – it will recover as the pilots have not realised” before it’s too late?

Told you it was wild.)
----------------