PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 7
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2012, 00:49
Old Carthusian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diagnostic
I am afraid we are still faced with the question of why? It does still come down to the individual crew. It is something that I learned flying replica biplanes (note that I have never flown big transport aircraft but I feel what I learned has some relevance). - know your machine. Know your drills. There is no escape from this. The crews who didn't initially recognise UAS were still able to successfully deal with the problem. One crew (AF447) wasn't and followed a totally inappropriate behaviour pattern. Evidence indicates that the safeguards expected in a transport aircraft were not utilised but were for some reason ignored. This is, I am afraid, a crew issue - not a machine issue. It also relates to this particular crew not the others. I would suggest that reading some of the Korean Airlines accident reports would be productive. They are different accidents but the cultural parallels and CRM failures are instructive and one can see a bearing on this accident. We have to be very careful in trying to find a 'hard' solution when the cause may well lie in the 'soft' factors.