PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS Website Part 11
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2002, 05:06
Chief galah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only thing AsA management are interested in is reducing costs. (It looks good on their CV). So when someone comes along and says "it would save 50 million" - whooppee we'll have some of that, they cry. It seems to reduce costs means
#1 reduced controller numbers or
#2 pay them less.
A protracted (two years) EBA bargaining period has certainly seen #2 (if the whole two year period of zero wage growth is taken into account).
As for #1, if more controllable airspace is to be introduced, and controller numbers are reduced, then workload must increase. This may be feasible in some areas, I don't know.
However, if, as I have heard, NAS means a reduction of 25 consoles in Melbourne Centre, it's got to mean individual controllers will be responsible for huge volumes of airspace, operating who knows how many frequencies. I hope all this is taken into account for their sake.
All the chatter (and I don't think it's that bad), I find it comforting to hear a check in broadcast so I can know who's close by and my radios are still working.
But, I can imagine this must be irksome to the airline guys when RAS is combined on departures frequency. How many have had to level out at five thousand, waiting to get a word in, while some lightie goes through his area broadcast? Broadcasts, I might add that are sanctioned in CASA documents. Get used to it.
Radar coverage in the J curve , please remember that outside of 50 miles radius of the main centres, radar coverage is SSR only. Remote sensors are SSR only. Thus, if the transponder of a VFR aircraft in E airspace is unserviceable or not switched on, there will be no radar return OR TCAS RETURN.
The assertion by Bill Pike on page 10, that
"....once Australian ATC get the feeling that this is "their" airspace, they guard it jealously..."
Who in their right mind wouldn't with the legal mine field that goes with territory. I don't think Mr Pike has had to sit at a live console with the alligators snapping, when a not so switched on pilot (just like his radio and transponder) decides to take a short cut through the CTR. (Apologies to the alligators)
Just a few points to ponder between ourselves seeing we're not getting much feedback from those who know.
CG