PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Open Skies for Singapore & Australia ?
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2002, 03:44
gaunty

Don Quixote Impersonator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) spokesman confirmed to The Business Times that its representatives will resume informal talks on the removal of all restrictions on the two countries' respective flag carriers, Singapore Airlines (SIA) and Qantas Airways, between the two destinations.
Lopsided or what!!
An open skies arrangement would open up whole new markets for SIA, including direct connections between Australian cities and the US and Europe - competing with Qantas. It could also open up some of Australia's domestic market - a A$10 billion (S$9.9 billion) industry SIA has been eyeing for years, but which is monopolised by Qantas.
I’m sure QF are quivering with barely concealed excitement to get access to their Changi/Seletar route.
I’d love to know what they have put on the table in trade???

And of course United wouldn't have any lesson for us either, oh and BTW me mate Torres and I are putting together a prospectus to buy UA, we are just organising another Cook Islands account for the proceeds ooops sorry subscriptons

I'm not surprised QF are pushing against this absolutely amazing folly. I don’t know what the brain dead pollies in Canberra are smoking or even why we have this rush towards a Free Trade agreement with this country.
Maybe they are worried about their "complimentary" First Class ugrades when they travel on their "fact finding" missions.
The only thing that will be free will be the freedom for the current family run oligarchy to play whatever games they feel will be necessary to advance their interests over ours.
We already host their Air Force, why don’t we just give em the keys to Canberra and let em get on with it.
How many Aussies are aware that one of their most senior “Union” (read another arm of the family firm aligned with the only “party” allowed) officials has been given 30 days to recant his membership of the opposition party or be sacked. Seems like he must have trod on someone’s corns
When he drew the executive’s opinion to the fact that there is nothing in the rules that forbade this democratic right, he was pointed to a 20-year-old ‘motion’ that “disallowed” membership of opposing political parties. This in a City barely the size of Melbourne that calls itself a Republic but then so did the USSR.
Oh and the “opposition” is allowed to be so long as they don’t ask any hard questions. Family and friends wax rich on defamation proceeds from those silly enough to exercise even the simplest of democratic rights. A lot like our Iraqi friend Hussein’s recent “re-election” and if that doesn’t work you simply tell the electorate that if an opposition candidate does get up in their borough not to expect any Govt funds or approvals for anything, if not an active removal of same. Cute hey.
The difference is I can discuss that here; there I would either be in gaol as a dissident or in the courts defending a libel case.
And they have the gall to criticise our culture and human rights performance.