PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it worth it?
Thread: Is it worth it?
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2012, 19:15
BigNumber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying is a relatively low skill job for the amount of kudos it is believed to hold.

Each time I trundle past Concorde House at LGW there are plenty of grinning kids that are the spit of 'the milky bar kid'. (if you are old enough to remember the adverts?)

Why are they there? I think we all know the answer and it's got stuff all to do with a desire to fly.

Sadly, this means that salary levels will constantly be under pressure whilst the perceived job kudos remains high. Joe Public aint going to pay for our pose. He will however enjoy some cheap airfares.

Those of us already in the system (I am ex Military now flying a CJ3) are absolutely stuck where we are. There is no movement up or even horizontally.

Nothing can be done.

Every month more 'milky bar kids' remortgage their parents house and further kill the profession. King Canute demonstrated his inability to hold back the tide. You will understand the metaphor. Tarquin has sold his folks the dream; he's on his way now. No post on pprune will cast doubt on his FTO's advise; confirmation bias is ticked, and cheques are signed.

Some very silly little boys paid Cabair £70k up front; lost every single penny with nothing to show for it. The very next day these same idiots were seeking to 'start over' ; paying the whole again to join another integrated course.

This fact alone best demonstrates the mindset of those seeking to join the profession and why sadly, no, it is not worth it on any level.

Still coming though aren't you.