PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAA asks for a R6-billion handout
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2012, 15:30
NextLegUndefined

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shrike 200 - When I mentioned the "new aircraft" I was referring to the problem posed by SAA's long range and ultra-long range routes. They have stopped making the A340 at the factory, a while ago, which is an admission by Airbus that it has been replaced by better, more fuel efficient aircraft. Like the ones other major carriers fly. Also, the passenger experience (seats, in-flight entertainment, wifi, etc...) on a brand new 777, A380, 787, A350 is much better than in a late nineties aeroplane. The only long range aeroplane in our fleet that gives our competition a run for their money are our A332.

As for "insultary," I think that word can be put down to the poetic creativity found in a pilot that has flown through the night... Sorry, I meant 'full of insults.'

With regard to strategic importance, I was quoting Trevor Manual.

With regard to costs (taxes, etc...) I was trying to put the point across that SAA cannot be compared to other RSA airlines because it is operating on a relatively gigantic scale. The economic effect of weather delays, the places we operate to, etc... are other factors - the principle of comparing apples with pears.

With that in mind, a large portion of SAA's competition are also government backed.