PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA/bmi merger (was Virgin & Balpa - bmi next ?)
Old 5th Apr 2012, 15:26
Propellerhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The thing to remember is that out of 3800 pilots, I find the BALPA forum (which is not anonymous) is frequented by a very small minority of a few hundred pilots with extreme views, which never represents the reasonable majority.

Whenever a big issue comes along, the extreme views on the balpa forum never represent the final vote (which is normally 80% very pragmatic and reasonable).

Now project that to an anonymous forum and it is clear the views get exponentially more extreme and less representative of the majority. On this post there are trolls, those stirring things deliberately, those without the guts to post on the BALPA forum (which is fairly quiet and more reasonable), and those with extreme views, or those wound up by other's extreme views.

Anyone reading this would think there is huge bad feeling between the 2 sets of pilots, which in reality couldn't be further from the truth I suspect. As I've already said, I'm sure the 2 cc's will get together and represent their pilot groups to the best of their ability, will come up with a sensible proposal to BA, and together fight for the best possible outcome for the combined good of all in accordance with the restrictions in place by law and by IAG (bmi pilots will maintain their equivalent pay and conditions, BA's cost base will not rise, and no BA pilot will be disadvantaged in terms of STATUS or SENIORITY.

Job done. The overall sensible majority in bmi will see this solution gives them the best future career prospects and 70-80% will vote yes. A small minority will feel hard done by and will post vitriolic crap on this forum.

Last edited by Propellerhead; 5th Apr 2012 at 15:28. Reason: spelling!