PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Special Approach Procedure at Maideira
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2012, 14:27
Nightstop

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a veteran Airbus pilot & a regular into FNC. Both approaches are IAP to circling. Despite the reputation, FNC is normally pretty benign. You'd be unfortunate to be faced with weather conditions approaching, or at the limits, on your first trip into Madeira however that's exactly what happened to me many years ago. The training I received prior to that trip in a Level D simulator exactly replicated the worst case weather scenario on arrival, so I was well trained and well prepared. All I can suggest is bone up on the limitations, ensure your PNF understands them fully and supports you during the visual approach with trend readouts of V/S, IAS (you'll be looking outside mainly) and go around if you don't like what happening. BTW after the MAP, and before landing, the 05 go around procedure altitude may be modified by ATC if another inbound is approaching the downwind leg to 05, so be prepared for an early level off (1500' instead of 3000'). The 05 approach can be demanding too, cloud tends to cling over the MAD VOR/DME and dissipate just as you reach the MAP at D3.6, visual contact can be lost thereafter though in rain showers, which seem to be particulary intense here.