PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CTC Killing the INDUSTRY!! eJ, Monarch, Thomson and ????
Old 5th Apr 2012, 07:44
Alycidon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
But they are not trained very well any-more
That's not been mu experience. The cadets are very well trained.
That was my opinion too, I was impressed with the standard of the majority of cadets, but I had an interesting debate during the cruise the other day with a SFO with command upgrade hours about which aileron to use during a crosswind takeoff.

Either he was winding me up (quite possible) or he didn't know.

Now, what is the use of a guy who diligently calls out the OM height check on every ILS approach regardless of whether we are in cloud or not and calls out every speed deviation, even if it is only the speed trend vector and not the real airspeed, but doesn't know that you need to put the aileron into wind?

Please let's not have any tosh about avoiding spoiler deployment with neutral control wheel input as I've checked the FCTM and it advises into wind aileron as required.

In fact, I'm not sure I've flown with anyone in the last 3 or 4 years who has used any into wind aileron at all either on takeoff or on landing.

Cadets are probably expected to pick this skill up on the line, but I can't see the evidence yet.