PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EE Canberra book contributor request
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2012, 04:44
nazca_steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear Box Brownie,

I would be very interested to talk with the project leader at Kemble and will send a PM to you now. I have been keeping what tabs I can on it (mostly following rumours) about the plans and would love to know more...especially what the condition is of that lovely old T.4 and if there are plans to get her up and running too.

Ref the all-black Canberra, this is very interesting. At first glance I thought this might have been one of the fabled Project Heart Throb RB-57A Canberras (Martin RB-57A Heart Throb) but according to the site, these sorties ended in 1956, before you were at Wilhemshaven (sounds an interesting time by the way). They were also based at Rhein Main. Do you know if this all-black bird was RAF or USAF? Bullet holes implies it was up to something risky, which makes it all the more intriguing. From the reference I have, all-black RB-57As of the 1st Tactical Reconnaisance Sqn were stationed at Spangdahlem AB in the early 60s. A bit far from you, but then again if it had taken damage nearer northern borders it could well have diverted to you.

88 Sqn - very interested to hear more on them. I am a big B(I).8 fan and this is one of my fave Sqns with its snake markings on the fin. Don't let the guys from 213 Sqn hear me say that!

PM coming over now.